יום חמישי, אוקטובר 26, 2006

Studies: Jews in Israel and the U.S. are no longer seen as a single nation

As someone who was been involved in the last ten years in different Jewish educational programmes reading this article saddened me. I believe in Jewish Peoplehood, and in Israel being its focal point. I would love to see Israeli teenagers learning about Jewish Life outside of Israel. And vice versa, Jewish teenagers learning Ivrit as a living language, not as Sfat Kodesh (A sacred language).

Few years ago, before my time in London, my nephew (6 years old at the time) asked me what do I do at work. As it was a bit complicated even for me to understand what I really DO I said that I work in an office, that help Jewish people from all over the world. He opened his brown almond shaped eyes and his reply struck me: What??? There are Jews all over the world???? I cannot believe this!!!
For him, Jewish people lived only in Israel, If you lived outside or Israel you must not be Jewish. At that opportunity I cleared out that our cousins that just made Aliyah are Jewish.

Reading this article shows me that I might had convinced him, but there are so many others out there yet to challenge.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה