יום שלישי, יולי 04, 2006

We had a sweep steak at work, ironically I got Germany. I grew up in a home where we never bought anything from Germany (but tipax), we never ever thought to go there, in the late 50 early 60 my father injured his knee in one of the demonstrations against the compensation agreements, so you can get the picture, not a very Germany loving family.
And I got Germany in the sweep steak. Could be worse - Iran for example, but deep inside I knew its time to confront my Germanphobia, R - a very close friend moved to Berlin, she really wants me to visit her and I miss her, I keep hearing about the great night scene, but can I go there? Will I feel I am a traitor???
After all, my father injured his knees and we always bought the more expensive electrics because we banned German products. Not easy.

Football: my plan was that Brazil will win. My nephew convinced me that Ronaldinio is the top footballer of our generation, he is only eight years old, but very persuasive, And now with Brazil and Argentina out it seems more realistic, Germany might win.

I had a solution - I thought to take all my colleagues from work to the pub, but £25 will be enough for only one lager and two bags of crisps, between all of us.

And maybe its about time to be normal finally? To stop those fears and concerns. What does modern Germany have to do with the Holocaust? What lesson from the Holocaust have I learnt if I am banning a whole nation as opposed to hating individuals?? (there is not nuch hatred in my life, but when it comes to Nazis, it wakes up).
So I am not sure, on one hand I want them to lose and for this self reflective obsessive process to end, on the other hand it might be time to make peace between me and Germany.

2 תגובות:

  1. Had a chat with my nephew yesterday, he said it willbe France against Italy at the final.
    I think he might be right - remember where you first heard it!

    השבמחק
  2. What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
    »

    השבמחק