יום שבת, מרץ 31, 2007

Desperatley Seeking Shabbat

I am back in Israel for six months now, I arrived two days before Rosh Hahshana, and now just before Pessach it feels like a good time for some reflection. I am quite happy with most of things, but there is one thing I feel sort ashamed of saddened by and I am willing to change it. I don't like Shabbat anymore. Don`t get me wrong - its not to do with the Do`s and Don`ts, Which I am fine with, its more about the social, communal aspect of Shabbat.
I used to love Shabbat in South Woodford, Shul, the long meals, Seudah, seeing everyone. I loved Shabbat in East Finchley - guests coming for lunch after shul and staying till Havdalah - playing Set and arguing about Veganizm or Israel. Or with my dear friends A, S,& M just chilling, relaxing and getting all the love and support I need.
And here - I don`t feel I found my community yet. I have been to few shuls around, but nothing clicked. I show up people are not friendly to new comers the way they are in London, surly not friendly as WWS!
I have friends, I invite people, but its not the same.
I shared my feelings with M, who came back after spending two years in the Big Apple. She understands. We recreated our lives, its much harder returning then leaving. Not everything is perfect. Its easy to understand, its hard to accept.
Its hard to build a different experience of Shabbat, mostly as I desperately need and seek for the old good English Shabbat. (It might all be due to lack of chopped liver and a copy of the JC).

Specially when its has to do with a day - or rather a concept I fully believe in and identify myself with. I am still trying. I have few more shuls on my list.

What do you think?

2 תגובות:

  1. I felt somewhat the same way when I got back from a 9 month stay in the US. As a result, at the friendliest shul I *did* find, I became active, and instituted a hospitality announcement. Mayanot might be a bit far from you, but we'll be happy to see you.

    -- Aryeh

    השבמחק
  2. Hi Aryeh,

    Thanks for your advice/invite, not this Shabbat but soon.
    Shabbat Shalom
    shlomit

    השבמחק